Thursday, September 5, 2013

Introspection

In my Business Policy class this evening the professor was lecturing on Analysis. One of the most common problems with analysis that he talked about is that people don't analyze their analysis. To rephrase, people in a business setting often use a form of analysis but do not analyze the form they are using: why they are using it, how useful it is, and then later how accurate the analysis was.

This concept certainly applies in our personal lives as well. We accumulate knowledge over the course of our lives, but to use that knowledge well requires introspection. It is not enough to know something, an educated person must also know how they know it. How it came to your attention, why it came to your attention, and what action is demanded based on the knowledge are all questions to ask yourself. Asking yourself these questions will greatly improve your ability to use knowledge.

Taking this a step further, I always find it interesting and helpful to reflect upon how I think in general, not just how I think about specific issues. Knowing how you take in and process information is important to a good understanding of self. Another part of this is knowing your reactionary tendencies. For example, many people have an immediate reaction of defensiveness when someone mentions a constructive criticism to them. Oftentimes this is an inappropriate reaction, so it is useful to know if that is your tendency so that you can strive to overcome it.

I am a fan of strategy in general and strategy games in particular. Strategy games keep my mind active and give me the joy of solving an optimization puzzle. Through playing games and then reflecting on my strategy afterwards (something a lot of people never do), I have come to discover some of my strategic weaknesses. A minor one is the tendency to try strategies that are considered to be less optimal just to see if I can make it work. The largest strategic weakness I have is the tendency to project, to think that others will think how I think. It has certainly lost me plenty of games. Remembering my tendency to project while playing games allows me to actively work against my tendency and compete more effectively.

The same idea can apply to thinking in any area in your life. Knowing how you think allows you to overcome areas that challenge you and can lead to great benefits in all facets of your life. Also remember to reflect upon your weaknesses in your thinking and view them as opportunities to improve yourself. I highly recommend taking the time to think about how you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment