Sunday, September 1, 2013

Football: overrated and an occasion for immorality

Football is overrated.

I would say that that statement might be controversial, but really anyone with half a brain is pretty much forced to agree with me. Football is overrated on a consistent basis by fans who worship the game and the players.

This is fact. Many football fans actually do worship the game and the players (and some coaches). Football is the most important thing in these people's lives. I'm not using hyperbole here! There are people who would agree when I say that football is literally the most important thing in their lives.

That's incredibly sad.

I don't mean "that's sad" as in "look at those losers", I mean it as in "these poor people choose to immerse themselves in the world of football instead of finding meaning in their own lives." Many people would rather ignore the crap going on in their lives and just focus on a game that excites them. How terrible! Instead of living their lives and being in actual relation with those around them, they would rather sit on the couch, eat stuff, and watch something other people are doing.

Of course, this isn't just football, there are many forms of entertainment that people choose to lose themselves in. Football comes to mind today because I saw an advertisement for the NFL season starting up that said "It's ok to shed a tear." My first inclination was to roll my eyes but it made me think about the people who actually do get emotional about football returning.

Another sad thing about this situation: football is a great sport! I actually quite enjoy watching football and considering the strategy behind how it is played. I love sports that have an actual break in the action where new tactics can be thought out and then implemented (the other major one of course that comes to mind is baseball). I also loved playing football the few times I have in my life, though I can't say I'm any good at it. But I have absolutely no interest in being a football fan!

How could I be interested in being a football fan? The game is followed so rabidly by the people who worship it that it leads to all sorts of disgusting things. The behavior of pro football players is substantially more reprehensible than other pro athletes. The amount of vehicular homicide, rape, actual homicide, and other smaller crimes like dog fighting that happens is disgusting. This is what happens when men are worshipped as gods. They act as those there are no limits on what they can do. They act like this because society TELLS them there are no limits on what they can do.

Not only that, but these men are held up as role models to young boys. And what do they tell the young people who idolize them? "You can be whatever you want to be." A message that definitely sinks in when the people who tell you this are doing whatever they want to do. No wonder highschool boys start acting based on this message. A recent example is the Steubenville rape case.

When you are holding people who act immorally (or at best amorally) as heroes, this is the end result.


So what is the answer? Should you not like football? I would certainly not go so far as to say that. I also don't think there is anything wrong with being a fan of a particular team. But always keep in mind the level of interest that you have in this fallen institution. If you're a fan I encourage you to try to improve the football mindset by keeping your interest at a healthy level and not supporting those whose interest in unhealthy. Also, please don't support players for your team whose behavior is disgusting.

If you're not a fan, then don't be opposed to football for some stupid reason like "it's a stupid game about big men hitting each other". Be opposed to football because of its popularity as a religion and the behavior that it promulgates in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment